Tuesday, April 3, 2007

The Professor's Daughter

The Professor’s Daughter by Joann Sfar and Emmanuel Guibert

Shelby says: I loved this book because the story was very unique – it was about a mummy who dates a professor’s daughter. He thinks that she is the reincarnation of his wife when he lived in Egypt. It seems like it’s in the 1800’s because of how everyone is dressed and there are horse-drawn carriages, but it never says anything about the time. I love the paintings because they were realistic and each scene has a different main color to create the mood. It’s not a horror story at all – the mummy is just a guy in some bandages. The mummy confronts his dad and there’s some violence in end. It’s a romance, but there’s no kissing, and it’s action-packed, too. This book would be for 12-year-olds and up. I’m 11, but I’m sophisticated in reading. The story is a bit rough for kids younger than me – there’s a bit of violence – but it’s not gross and gory.

Sarah says: I like The Professor’s Daughter because it has special qualities that might not appear in other graphic novels. It is about many things that the professor’s daughter, aka Lillian, and Imhotep “eye-vee” do together. It’s a romance story and an action story, too. The romance part is when Lillian and Imhotep talk about loving and marrying each other, but I like that there are no smooches. The action part is where they escape from The Tower of London and there are a few chases. Something happens to the Queen, too, but I’m not telling you what! Ha ha ha! It’s weird when the mummy drinks tea and gets drunk. The story has three people dying in it, but it’s not gross at all. But little kids that don’t understand that it’s just a story might get freaked out and cry. I didn’t understand the ending, but after my mom explained it to me, I understood everything perfectly and it was a very nice and happy ending.

Written by Sfar and beautifully painted by Guibert, this was the extraordinarily creative duo’s breakthrough hit ten years ago in Europe. The art is absolutely gorgeous and the story genuinely unique – imagine a mash-up between Masterpiece Theater and film noir, throw in some mummies, and play it all out in Victorian London. It’s probably too much for younger readers, with the murder and all, but I highly recommend The Professor’s Daughter to everyone old enough for a tale of love, kidnapping, betrayal, murder, and Queen Victoria soaked to her undies.

Read a preview here.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home