Monday, April 2, 2007

Mouse Guard

Mouse Guard, by David Peterson; Archaia Studios Press (This review covers issues 1 and 2.)

Rules were made to be broken, right? So I’m going to break my “no violence” rule right here. Mouse Guard is an adventure tale and it is violent – and it is great for kids. Is it because the violence involves anthropomorphic animals and not people? Is it because the killing is done in self-defense? Maybe a bit of both. Mostly I think it’s because of the quality of the story. Mouse Guard feels a bit old-fashioned (in the best way) like a classic children’s adventure tale: there are brave heroes, treachery, monsters, mystery, battles to the death, and lessons about honor. The art is so beautiful and tells the tale so effectively, that I have to give Mouse Guard the highest recommendation for all readers over the age of 6. This is great literature.

Shelby says: The drawings are good – they look realistic and cartoony, too. It’s a good story because the mice are in danger and they have to take care of themselves. If you don’t like violence, don’t read this, though. It’s too scary for little kids like first graders or younger, but it’s all right for second graders and up. Grownups will like it, too. Especially people who like scary and exciting comics. I’m excited to see what happens in the next issue!

Sarah says: I liked Mouse Guard because it has a good story that is very adventurous and violent, just the way I like it! In the first episode, I like how it teaches you a small lesson – “It doesn’t matter what you fight, but what you fight for.” I think it’s very true. In the second one, I like how Sadie is a girl mouse and she is also a fighter. I think that boys and girls from about seven and up would really love it.

Note: The series does get darker and more sophisticated in later volumes, but the girls still really enjoyed it.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home